Sunday Times Books LIVE Community Sign up

Login to Sunday Times Books LIVE

Forgotten password?

Forgotten your password?

Enter your username or email address and we'll send you reset instructions

Sunday Times Books LIVE

Richard de Nooy

@ Sunday Times Books LIVE

#WhiteWhine – A 12-Point Rant

1. The time has come for a 10-point dressing down of white South Africans who bitch and moan about everything. Let’s call it #WhiteWhine.

2. Many white South Africans seem unaware that they are considered just a cut above Nazis in the international scoundrel rankings.

3. Even in American movies, white South Africans are often portrayed as generic bad guys, on a par with Nazis, terrorists and rogue aliens.

4. Why are we, white South Africans, portrayed this way? Is it fair that we should be so grossly stereotyped? Are we really like Nazis?

5. The answer: it’s understandable. Why? Imagine if the Nazis had retained their ill-gotten gains after the Second World War.

6. You’re thinking: “Bullshit! We aren’t Nazis! We didn’t commit genocide!” Well, perhaps you and your parents didn’t, but our ancestors did.

7. White people have murdered and exploited other nations and peoples for centuries, since colonial times, when our days of privilege began.

8. You’re thinking: “Ja, but what can I do about that?” Well, let’s look at how Germany has dealt with its grotesque Nazi past.

9. Germany has flourished by working hard, trying to do better, setting an example in terms of equality, cooperation and generosity.

10. White SA’ns who bitch and moan need to imagine Nazis bitching and moaning because their world has changed. That’s how you’re seen.

11. BONUS! You need to be more like Germans. Understand the privileges you enjoy. Do better. Strive for equality, cooperation, generosity.

12. EXTRA BONUS! You’re thinking: “Get off your high horse, arsehole.” But I already shot the horse and gave away the meat a long time ago.

Recent comments:

tongueincheek
    December 15th, 2015 @12:18 #

your 3rd word in point 6 exactly covers your rant. While the essence of what you have to say has some humanity in it(point 5), your generalisation of the entire whitre population as nazi is oh so old school. You have obviously spent some time in Germany , or with Germans, your high praise of them is as sychophantic as Malema killing for Zuma - and look what that did for Zuma

Bottom
  • <a href="http://richarddenooy.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Richard de Nooy</a>
    Richard de Nooy
    December 15th, 2015 @13:12 #

Here's how this works: I'd be more than willing to debate your point, but to preserve my sanity and ensure that you take full responsibility for your arguments, I insist that you remove your mask and reveal your true identity. Those are my rules of engagement.

Bottom
    tongueincheek
    December 15th, 2015 @13:38 #

I have just completed a profile "biography' on this site, which comprehensively defines my truth. Seeing as you seemed to have been insulted by my comment, I ask why are you seem concerned with my no-oneness and irrelevant stream of conscience? nevertheless I am a middle aged unemployed previously advantaged individual who is rather peeved at all individuals who comment on the wickedness of others, from an apparent opposing worldview, ie black vs white, or theist vs atheist, et al. there is no and never has been a nett positive outcome of an us vs them circular argument. That being said I do understand the concept of a rant, voicing an opinion triggered by something that pisses one off, blowing of steam.So if you can rant, I can comment -public space. Yes I do take total responsibility for all that I do and not only my arguments - Pierre

Bottom
  • <a href="http://richarddenooy.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Richard de Nooy</a>
    Richard de Nooy
    December 15th, 2015 @13:47 #

I am not insulted by your comment, Pierre, merely explaining my rules of engagement.

Bottom
    tongueincheek
    December 15th, 2015 @14:07 #

fair enough, question is why would you want to engage? I am simply an internet surfer with an opinion, who is just a ip address in the grand scheme of things. Having seen your other blogs I really like your style and attitude, maybe I should get The Unsaid

Bottom
  • <a href="http://richarddenooy.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Richard de Nooy</a>
    Richard de Nooy
    December 15th, 2015 @15:37 #

If I fail to engage, I would fuel injustice with my apathy. Try to see me as a white whistleblower. Your tone has changed since your first post, so maybe you'll consider dropping the mask sometime soon.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://kelwynsole.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Kelwyn Sole</a>
    Kelwyn Sole
    December 17th, 2015 @16:32 #

There are some useful critiques of privilege theory online: Nishin Nathwani in Harvard Political Review 29/04/14; Esme Choonara and Yuri Prasad in International Socialism Journal 2/04/14; Sharon Smith, Bill Mullen and others in Socialist Worker Oct 2013 - onwards; and just about anything by Adolph Reed.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://richarddenooy.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Richard de Nooy</a>
    Richard de Nooy
    December 17th, 2015 @18:27 #

Thanks a stack, Kelwyn. I could use some academic fuel under my bubbling cauldron of toil and trouble.

Bottom
    Baster
    December 17th, 2015 @20:26 #

An extremely self-satisfied and arrogant contribution to an essentially anti-democratic narrative. Don't be intimidated by the bluster and fluster, folks.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://helenmoffett.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Helen</a>
    Helen
    December 23rd, 2015 @13:53 #

Thanks, Kelwyn. I take intersectionality so much for granted as a practical framework, I haven't thought much about the critiques. Not that I can pretend I do the academic reading any more, but there are a few niggles with pt I'd like to articulate better.

Bottom
    JohannVR
    December 24th, 2015 @11:52 #

The author is correct in that we are awful but change isn't good enough. We must be stopped. Exile us to our own country and build a big wall around us where we can't do more damage. Obviously non whites want nothing to do with us. Build the wall high enough and no other race will ever risk stumbling into the hellish filthy failed state that will develop. In the meantime South Africans can just move to the Netherlands where the reality of life in SA will become much clearer with some help from American movies and Dutch TV.

Bottom

Please register or log in to comment

» View comments as a forum thread and add tags in BOOK Chat